It's Scandinavian
"It's Scandinavian". The slogan of Scandinavian Airlines SAS. The flag carrier of where else, Scandinavia. More specifically, the Kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. (The Republics of Finland and Iceland are theorically not part of Scandinavia). Here is a photo I took of the particular airline in discussion in Bangkok. 
Anyway, the topic today is focusing on the ice-kingdoms where this fine airline hails from. The lands where legendary Vikings once proudly marched, where the contemporary Scandinavian styles and designs are inspired (think Ikea and Royal Copenhagen), where you can discover beautiful blonde blue-eyed Nordic women, and the savoury Swedish meatballs they make, not to mention the city from which the psychological response, Stockholm Syndrome, borrowed its name from and perhaps, 3 kingdomfuls of alcohol addicts?
Well, it all started at a thread in a forum at airliners.net, which claims to be the biggest aviation site in the world. The thread which is titled "The Mystery of the Scandinavian Passenger?", was started by an observant KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight attendent, username KLMcedric, who noticed passengers of Scandinavian origin would ask for 2 to 3 drinks at one time (no, not one wine and one juice like most passengers would ask) but as the thread-starter described, "(for) Non-alcoholic they'll often order softdrink+juice+water all at the same time. (for) Alcoholic they'll often order 1 or 2 bottle's of wine + gin-tonic/screwdriver/bloody mary etc"
This curious behaviour was also observed by other members in the forum, FrenchPilot described his experience as a flight attendent for CityJet on a Sweden-bound flight, "I will always remember my first flight, my colleagues didn't brief me on that particular situation, and as I served my very first passenger asked for (I will always remember that one!): a coke, a perrier, a red whine, a coffee, a whiskey and a brandy. So I gave her everything except the brandy since we don't have that, so she asked for another red whine. I thought she ordered for the whole row............ Well nope!!!! Was ALL for herself!!!!"
Another forum reader, Starlionblue, supported with his own experience, "Back in 1997 or so, I visited the cockpit of a BA (British Airways) 744 (B747-400 aircraft) LHR (London) -LAX (Los Angeles). The pilots asked me how things were "back there". When I told them we ran out of booze they immediately exclaimed: "Must be full of Scandinavians then! Always happens..."
This thread caught the eyes of many puzzled Europeans as well as Scandinavians who tried their best to explain the Scandinavian obsession with liquor. Theories ran from overpriced liquor due to a Swedish beer monopoly to the Scandinavian unfamiliarity towards complimentary drinks to "the Viking tradition of storing and hoarding" or even the frozen temperatures up north which attributed to the Scandinavian obsession with alcoholic beverages. (yeah, blame it on the weatherman).
The Europeans were quick to do comparisions against the isolated and cornered Norsemen, Pelican claims, "I got the impression that even Danes (especially women) drink more than Germans when they go out." A fellow German, ZakHH, resigns to life, "But this "it-is-included-so-I-want-to-have-it" is some sort of Scandinavian thing. Well, I can live with it."
Another quipped, "All the SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) f/a (flight attendents)'s are probably thinking the same about us, 'Why the hell do they only order one drink at a time?"
Many of the theories were suggested with much caution by fellow Europeans, for fear of backlash from their Nordic neighbours. Alot of sweet stuff about Sweden, Denmark and Norway was dabbled in the discussion to prevent an outbreak of World War III in continental Europe.
However, curt comparisions between Norwegians, Swedes and Danes were bluntly made, each nationality pushing the sinful indulgence across one another's usually neutral borders. For an icy moment, I could almost foresee a brawl of Viking proportions, which would have resulted in a delectable spread of Smoked Norwegian Salmon, Smothered Swedish Meatballs and Slivered Danish Pastry. Fortunately, the Dead Norsemen's Banquet was just a bad blondie's nightmare.
Other Europeans were also accused of perculiarities; the Portuguese were flamed for their obsession with sugar ("they will throw 3-4 packets in a small coffee.") while the Italians were bashed for their loud mouths. ( "They speak loudly and for some reason they have the hardest time remaining seated. Always with the standing in the aisles speaking loudly.") Like the movie, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which I caught on Channel 5 last night, Europe was on the verge of war; war not over an arms race, or abductions of brainy scientists, but over a request for an extra bottle of wine?
What can I say. Cultural traditions runs deep in European blood. Fight for honour, pride and a cold mug of beer! Believe me when I say "It's Scandinavian".

Anyway, the topic today is focusing on the ice-kingdoms where this fine airline hails from. The lands where legendary Vikings once proudly marched, where the contemporary Scandinavian styles and designs are inspired (think Ikea and Royal Copenhagen), where you can discover beautiful blonde blue-eyed Nordic women, and the savoury Swedish meatballs they make, not to mention the city from which the psychological response, Stockholm Syndrome, borrowed its name from and perhaps, 3 kingdomfuls of alcohol addicts?
Well, it all started at a thread in a forum at airliners.net, which claims to be the biggest aviation site in the world. The thread which is titled "The Mystery of the Scandinavian Passenger?", was started by an observant KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight attendent, username KLMcedric, who noticed passengers of Scandinavian origin would ask for 2 to 3 drinks at one time (no, not one wine and one juice like most passengers would ask) but as the thread-starter described, "(for) Non-alcoholic they'll often order softdrink+juice+water all at the same time. (for) Alcoholic they'll often order 1 or 2 bottle's of wine + gin-tonic/screwdriver/bloody mary etc"
This curious behaviour was also observed by other members in the forum, FrenchPilot described his experience as a flight attendent for CityJet on a Sweden-bound flight, "I will always remember my first flight, my colleagues didn't brief me on that particular situation, and as I served my very first passenger asked for (I will always remember that one!): a coke, a perrier, a red whine, a coffee, a whiskey and a brandy. So I gave her everything except the brandy since we don't have that, so she asked for another red whine. I thought she ordered for the whole row............ Well nope!!!! Was ALL for herself!!!!"
Another forum reader, Starlionblue, supported with his own experience, "Back in 1997 or so, I visited the cockpit of a BA (British Airways) 744 (B747-400 aircraft) LHR (London) -LAX (Los Angeles). The pilots asked me how things were "back there". When I told them we ran out of booze they immediately exclaimed: "Must be full of Scandinavians then! Always happens..."
This thread caught the eyes of many puzzled Europeans as well as Scandinavians who tried their best to explain the Scandinavian obsession with liquor. Theories ran from overpriced liquor due to a Swedish beer monopoly to the Scandinavian unfamiliarity towards complimentary drinks to "the Viking tradition of storing and hoarding" or even the frozen temperatures up north which attributed to the Scandinavian obsession with alcoholic beverages. (yeah, blame it on the weatherman).
The Europeans were quick to do comparisions against the isolated and cornered Norsemen, Pelican claims, "I got the impression that even Danes (especially women) drink more than Germans when they go out." A fellow German, ZakHH, resigns to life, "But this "it-is-included-so-I-want-to-have-it" is some sort of Scandinavian thing. Well, I can live with it."
Another quipped, "All the SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) f/a (flight attendents)'s are probably thinking the same about us, 'Why the hell do they only order one drink at a time?"
Many of the theories were suggested with much caution by fellow Europeans, for fear of backlash from their Nordic neighbours. Alot of sweet stuff about Sweden, Denmark and Norway was dabbled in the discussion to prevent an outbreak of World War III in continental Europe.
However, curt comparisions between Norwegians, Swedes and Danes were bluntly made, each nationality pushing the sinful indulgence across one another's usually neutral borders. For an icy moment, I could almost foresee a brawl of Viking proportions, which would have resulted in a delectable spread of Smoked Norwegian Salmon, Smothered Swedish Meatballs and Slivered Danish Pastry. Fortunately, the Dead Norsemen's Banquet was just a bad blondie's nightmare.
Other Europeans were also accused of perculiarities; the Portuguese were flamed for their obsession with sugar ("they will throw 3-4 packets in a small coffee.") while the Italians were bashed for their loud mouths. ( "They speak loudly and for some reason they have the hardest time remaining seated. Always with the standing in the aisles speaking loudly.") Like the movie, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which I caught on Channel 5 last night, Europe was on the verge of war; war not over an arms race, or abductions of brainy scientists, but over a request for an extra bottle of wine?
What can I say. Cultural traditions runs deep in European blood. Fight for honour, pride and a cold mug of beer! Believe me when I say "It's Scandinavian".
---------------------------------------------------------------
Well... in other news, on March 10, I got back my exam results! Not going to reveal the details but was slightly better than what I had expected. And on the same day, I shot a night photo of an ANA All Nippon Airways Boeing 777-200, registration JA703A! A good satisfying start to my holidays and rockin' prelude to a new exciting semester! Woohoo!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home