code.share

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Silkair

Taking a break from my hellhole, went online and was given this movie clip link from my friend. Thought was some lame stuff, but it turned out to be quite haunting for me. The title of that local short movie is "The Letter", from youtube. It apparently is based on a true local story about this sexually-confused JC kid who became obsessed with his friend and eventually took his life, after his affection was rejected.
Somehow, these days, we are bombarded with media focusing on gay interest. Just like the new movie on apparently fag cowboys, Brokeback Mountain, or lesbian movies (based on true stories) like Monster (starring Charlize Theron as lesbian murderess Aileen Wuornos) and Boys Don't Cry (starring Hilary Swank as Brandon Teena trapped in the body of Teena Brandon). I would say I have all the while been intrigued by that taboo lifestyle, having seen an ever-increasing number of what we would all call butches everywhere. Not to mention some really pretty girls who hang out with them. It's like some lesbian phenomenon or something. (Now I think twice about that glamourous girl 'coz I notice girls who dress up too nice seems to be more inclined on their own kind) I am really intrigued by this alternative lifestyle which seems to becoming the norm (amongst young girls especially).
Anywayz, lesbians aside, "The Letter" was quite a mind-provoking movie for me. Though it seems simple in plot, I am disturbed by the main character, Chee Keong. Is he an obsessive psycho gay pervert who, not only made life terrible for the guy he stalks and harrasses, breaks the heart of his loving mother when she found out the ugly truth and heartlessly destroys the friendship of those true friends who were there for him, before killing himself?
Or is it a simple, innocent school boy yearning for affection from another, but the cruel twist of fate results in an end to a boy, who, like all of us, wants to find his place in the world ?
I wonder if the film had done justice to the lad who's apparently the story is based on. Whatever the case, I feel ending one's life is a really selfish thing to do. By ending his life, he gave up everything for someone who didn't give a damn about him, yet made those who had cared about him; his friends, mother, suffer for the rest of their lives. How could one do such a terrible thing to people who really cared. The pain doesn't go away in death, it manifested and destroyed the hopes of those who really believed in him.
Like a card in my old Magic: The Gathering collection goes,


"The answer to life should never be death;
it should always be more life, wrapped
tight around us like precious silks"
If you are interested, you can check out the movie here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home