Resurrection of flight180
Yesturday (27 feb 06), I went swimming with my friend Garrett aka parrot aka carrot. It was a refreshing activity which really washed away the residue of stress leftover from a really busy time in school. The warm sunshine had also lit up our spirits for preparation of a good holiday ahead!
After the swim, we went over and had beef steak ($7) at a coffee shop near Hougang Mall which was renowned for its fantastic western food. The beef steaks took some time but came to us piping hot with gravy boiling and sizzling on the hotplate. Like ravenous wolves, we quickly set upon our tantalising meat. The flavour of the chopped onion blended well into the gravy, which was oh-so-heavenly. Delicious!
After the good workout and meal, we went to Tampines Mall to catch Final Destination 3 at 7.10pm. I was just dying to catch the movie as I am quite a fan of its predecessors. However, I did prepare myself that the film, like most sequels, was probably a low-budget cheap flick to squeeze the few remaining pennies out of fans of the original first-class horror flick.
However, the movie did prove my judgement wrong as scenes were more terrifying, and not to mention, utterly gruesome. This time, a bunch of graduating students are involved in a technical glitch in a roller-coaster ride which changed their life paths (or rather death sentences) forever. Like the previous two movies, the students who escaped the death-ride only met with more macabre and grisly deaths later.
And like the previous, the victims who missed the first verdict of Judgement Day were ignorant and waddled in self-denial while a second session was being scheduled, real soon. Many nauseating deaths later, eg. girls roasting in their birthday suits or having nails punctured into their boneheads, the lesson was still not learnt. Funny thing was that after each heinous death, from across the theatre came a...
After the swim, we went over and had beef steak ($7) at a coffee shop near Hougang Mall which was renowned for its fantastic western food. The beef steaks took some time but came to us piping hot with gravy boiling and sizzling on the hotplate. Like ravenous wolves, we quickly set upon our tantalising meat. The flavour of the chopped onion blended well into the gravy, which was oh-so-heavenly. Delicious!
After the good workout and meal, we went to Tampines Mall to catch Final Destination 3 at 7.10pm. I was just dying to catch the movie as I am quite a fan of its predecessors. However, I did prepare myself that the film, like most sequels, was probably a low-budget cheap flick to squeeze the few remaining pennies out of fans of the original first-class horror flick.However, the movie did prove my judgement wrong as scenes were more terrifying, and not to mention, utterly gruesome. This time, a bunch of graduating students are involved in a technical glitch in a roller-coaster ride which changed their life paths (or rather death sentences) forever. Like the previous two movies, the students who escaped the death-ride only met with more macabre and grisly deaths later.
And like the previous, the victims who missed the first verdict of Judgement Day were ignorant and waddled in self-denial while a second session was being scheduled, real soon. Many nauseating deaths later, eg. girls roasting in their birthday suits or having nails punctured into their boneheads, the lesson was still not learnt. Funny thing was that after each heinous death, from across the theatre came a...
HAHAHAHA!
I guess that black humour is always appreciated by the Singapore crowd.
I would attribute the success of the "Final Destination"s to the scripts which played on our disgust at such ghastly ends to fellow humans as well as the ability to unlock the hidden chamber in our hearts; the fear of our own deaths. As humans, we often fear the loss of the ones we loved, but how often do we think about our own deaths? Eventual as it is, we take for granted it won't be any time soon. This unknown fear is definately a crucial ingredient in brewing a good horror movie.
Another subconscious fear the producers played on is the knowing that no matter how much you try to alter your future, the past is going to catch up with you. Well, this the movie had portrayed in a lurid fashion. But to a less morbid extent, it happens in our daily cycle of life. How often we had tried to conceal our past, only to find skeletons marching out of our closet.
I would attribute the success of the "Final Destination"s to the scripts which played on our disgust at such ghastly ends to fellow humans as well as the ability to unlock the hidden chamber in our hearts; the fear of our own deaths. As humans, we often fear the loss of the ones we loved, but how often do we think about our own deaths? Eventual as it is, we take for granted it won't be any time soon. This unknown fear is definately a crucial ingredient in brewing a good horror movie.
Another subconscious fear the producers played on is the knowing that no matter how much you try to alter your future, the past is going to catch up with you. Well, this the movie had portrayed in a lurid fashion. But to a less morbid extent, it happens in our daily cycle of life. How often we had tried to conceal our past, only to find skeletons marching out of our closet.
I would give a thumbs up to the grosteque screenplay but I felt the actors/actresses barely breathed any life to their characters other than being obstinate white mice scampering around on the gloved hand of the Prince of Darkness. Quite bland characters but adept at producing ear-splitting vocals when essential.
After the movie which lasted about 1 and a half hours, and getting home, I watched Live Nude Girls on HBO, it starred Kim Cattrall from the scandalous Sex and the City. This non-pornographic film (as the misleading title may suggest otherwise), seems to be an ancient flower-power-era version of Sex and the City; still quite hilarious all the same. Most funny was when then-youthful looking Kim Cattrall in her character, Jamie (who has plastically inflated boobs), lamented that after she's dead, and her body had decayed into ashes, there will be forever two silicon bags sitting on top of the heap of human remains. LOL.. I thought that was freaking funny.
Anyway, though I was creeped out by the terror of Final Destination 3 and have to admit, was rather paranoid about my own death initially. However, after watching a classic about a bunch of retro-dolls ranting on about their sex-life experiences and a good night's rest later, I was again going through life's boring routine as usual.
As they always say, ignorance is bliss.
After the movie which lasted about 1 and a half hours, and getting home, I watched Live Nude Girls on HBO, it starred Kim Cattrall from the scandalous Sex and the City. This non-pornographic film (as the misleading title may suggest otherwise), seems to be an ancient flower-power-era version of Sex and the City; still quite hilarious all the same. Most funny was when then-youthful looking Kim Cattrall in her character, Jamie (who has plastically inflated boobs), lamented that after she's dead, and her body had decayed into ashes, there will be forever two silicon bags sitting on top of the heap of human remains. LOL.. I thought that was freaking funny.
Anyway, though I was creeped out by the terror of Final Destination 3 and have to admit, was rather paranoid about my own death initially. However, after watching a classic about a bunch of retro-dolls ranting on about their sex-life experiences and a good night's rest later, I was again going through life's boring routine as usual.
As they always say, ignorance is bliss.



1 Comments:
Oh I caught that movie too. It was quite horrid I must say. I couldn't help but shut my eyes at every gore scene. It didn't help that two secondary school kids (who prolly sneaked it cos it was nc-16) were screaming their lungs out. lol.
By
J.K, at 9:35 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home