Crash landing
[continued] Yeah. so we were waiting for the first bus at the bus stop off Armenian Street, along Stamford Road, opposite SMU. It was raining heavily and I was shivering as the cold bit into my skin. At around 6, there was a man who got out of this white car from the rear door behind the driver, and got on the road. The car drove off when the traffic lights turned green. The man stood in the middle of the road, waved at the few taxis and cars which drove by, as though wanting a lift. All of them swerved to avoid him. He then stretched out both his hands, like a scarecrow and stood still. It was frightening to see him. All I could think of was, "please don't let him come towards my direction." Two buses had to avoid him as he stood still like a statue in the rain.
Then the rain got heavier, and a taxi, the sole vehicle on the road at that time, came straight in the man's path; honking before... knocking the man over. I was shocked. There was a loud sound but it's not like those you hear in the movies with car crashes. I didn't expect the man to be knocked over; let alone see it with my own eyes. Through the rain, I could see the man flung to his right. A passerby immediately ran towards him.
It took me a few seconds before I dialled for the ambulance. I couldn't believe that the man had been knocked down. I did not know how else to help. I didn't dare go to the crash site to assist him. Many people soon rushed to his aid, while he laid on the road. The ambulance quickly arrived and he was quickly put on a stretcher, into the ambulance and driven away, passing me and my friends at the bus stop.
I thought to myself, would I have averted a tragedy had I went to help him off the road instead of fearing him? I also thought how tragic it was, on Christmas Day, the last 7th day of a year in which so much would have happened, that he ended up in that state. Was a moment of foolishness worth to destruct your life? A million questions ran through my head; of which none would make the situation any easier.
As the ambulance sirens roared pass me, I only could hope that he will be alright. You will, right?
Then the rain got heavier, and a taxi, the sole vehicle on the road at that time, came straight in the man's path; honking before... knocking the man over. I was shocked. There was a loud sound but it's not like those you hear in the movies with car crashes. I didn't expect the man to be knocked over; let alone see it with my own eyes. Through the rain, I could see the man flung to his right. A passerby immediately ran towards him.

It took me a few seconds before I dialled for the ambulance. I couldn't believe that the man had been knocked down. I did not know how else to help. I didn't dare go to the crash site to assist him. Many people soon rushed to his aid, while he laid on the road. The ambulance quickly arrived and he was quickly put on a stretcher, into the ambulance and driven away, passing me and my friends at the bus stop.
I thought to myself, would I have averted a tragedy had I went to help him off the road instead of fearing him? I also thought how tragic it was, on Christmas Day, the last 7th day of a year in which so much would have happened, that he ended up in that state. Was a moment of foolishness worth to destruct your life? A million questions ran through my head; of which none would make the situation any easier.
As the ambulance sirens roared pass me, I only could hope that he will be alright. You will, right?



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home