code.share

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Terminal

[my adventures in Bangkok continued]
So I finally arrived at Bangkok's Don Mueang International Airport's viewing gallery, after a [shocking] smooth check-out. It was 12.17 Singapore time, I had missed New Year in Singapore. Happy belated new year to me. But I thought, "oh well, Bangkok's new year is coming in about 45mins".
As I rested in the viewing gallery, I watched as a Malev Hungarian Airlines B767, registration HA-LHA, got ready for departure, next to it being an El Al Israel Airlines B777. It's my first time seeing a Malev Hungarian Plane, and I thought how fun is it for the passengers to celebrate their new year in the comforts of a plane to Budapest.
Near me were some restaurants, Korean, Japanese among others; and the excitement of the staff at the birth of a new year can be seen (or rather heard) as they squealed and screamed and played loud music. I guess it's like still 11pm in Thailand and it's really cool to be spending the last few moments of the year with your pals. Okie here's a short summary of what happened next:
11.18pm - Scandinavian Airlines A340 (Flight SK972) arrives from Singapore.
11.22pm - Royal Jordanian Airlines A340 taxiied past for departure to Amman.
11.33pm - Noisy youths are playing the song Dragostea Din Tei by O-zone.
11.35pm - Air France A340 taxiied past, followed by Kenya Airways B767 in new livery.
11.41pm - Austrian A340 taxiied past for departure to Vienna.
11.45pm - Malev Hungarian Airlines on pushback. (that is, departed from the gate and getting ready for departure)
11.50pm - Lufthansa German Airlines A340 taxiied past, followed by Malev Hungarian Airlines and the Swiss International Airlines A340 (which I had taken to Bangkok), beginning its second leg to Zurich.
11.58pm - I can see fireworks in the distance! A tiny but spectacular swan song of 2005!
11.59pm - ....Ha, Si, Sarm, Sawng, Nueng, Soon.. (...5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0...)
12.00am - HAPPY NEW YEAR BANGKOK! Sawadi Pi Mai!
12.00am - I can see fireworks lighting up the sky from where I am sitting in the viewing gallery. (from a distance of course. It was a beautiful sight to see fireworks in every direction nevertheless. A magical yet quiet moment at the birth of a new year. I wonder what new adventures laid ahead of me.
12.11am - Korean Air B777 just taxiied past, whilst a Turkish Airlines A340 just taxiied in.
12.19am - Korean Air B744 (B747-400) taxiied past! What a beautiful livery on my favourite plane! This is followed by another of my favourite Airline, ANA All Nippon Airways!
12.32am - Korean Air B744 departed for Seoul.
12.33am - El Al Israel Airlines taxiied for departure. Unlike other airlines, I noticed it didn't displayed its tail lights to show its livery.
12.44am - Under the cover of darkness, El Al Israel Airlines departed.

After the plane frenzy, I decided to take a hiatus during my voluntary day of life as Viktor Navorski. I rested around the rows of chairs along the viewing mall, lying down and shutting my eyes when I got tired. There were many backpackers around me, and surprisingly, quite a few lone women backpackers. There were also numerous Thais around. I also noticed a few suspicious characters lurking around the sleeping people, scanning around for any quick-pickings with their vulture eyes, and it made me even more careful of my belongings.

After the rest, I had decided to wander around the sprawling yet quiet sanaam bin (airport in Thai). At departure level, everyone was stretched across the rows of chairs and getting some forty winks. Like me, a few sleepless souls also explored the aircraft habitat cum gateway to the Land of Smiles. I wandered for quite abit, exchanging "yeah-I-guess-we-are-in-the-same-situation" glances with fellow airport guests. When I got tired, I just rested on the chairs, closing my eyes and dreamt, together with different people from different nationalities. Though we all never spoke a word, there seems to be a bonding of the humankind, like a knowing that we are spending the new year together. It's definately a one-of-a-kind experience.

As the hands of the clock reached 5.00am, there was an influx of passengers. Many Northeast Asians on their morning flight, including many Chinese and Japanese. Also, Americans on two US flights out of Bangkok, to Tokyo; United Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Their check-in security was likened to a prison screening. Very scary.
As I was resting on the benches, a young man knocked his suitcase onto my chair, then sitting opposite me. From his luggage tag with a name "TAKAO YASUDA", he apparently was a Japanese and looked more than shagged. I wondered if he had backpacked in Bangkok alone. It must have been a cool experience. Then, we just stayed and waited with each other till the dawn broke. At 7am, he left to check-in for his JAL (Japan Airlines) flight (i presumed) and I was left wandering the airport alone again. Here's a pic of the chairs I rested during my night at the airport.

Oh, it looks more comfortable than it looks.

I went to get some breakfast. I had prawn and boiled rice which costed me a hefty 189baht, which is like more than $7. Plus, apparently they don't give change. That's me having my breakfast. After that, I poked my nose around the check-in counters before heading for the viewing gallery. At the Japan Airlines check-in counter, there were hordes of people, not to mention a truckload of flight stewardesses, a mixture of Thai and Japanese girls and their ton of luggage.

When I reached the viewing gallery, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Japan Airlines special scheme which supports the Japanese National Team (plane number JA8909)! Wow! I thought it is definately the best new year surprise! Go Nihon Go! I guess there's really believing in the Japan Airlines slogan "Dream Skyward".The flight was JA728 to Osaka. It departed at around 9.30am and reached its destination at 4.07pm. I stayed on till around 11.45am then I went to have my lunch at a Japanese restaurant, which serves authentic ramen. I had a vegetable ramen set, and devoured it with gusto. The waiter was really nice. He looks rather pretty though, with the lipstick and makeup. (Lol... does it sounds normal?) Well, he provided me with free iced water and served me with a nice smile. And the total bill? Just 79 baht. That's like Singapore $3. Good service, good food, I lurvv it! Furthermore, the restaurant had a good view of the planes. Swell...

It's definately a dynamic start to a new year. If there's Alice in Wonderland, there's also Skycruiser in Bangkok Don Mueang International. 2006, welcome aboard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home