Lunar Blessings
Yeah... If there's one thing I dread, its Chinese New Year.
The 3 Chinese New Year thingies that irks me.
1. Visiting so-called relatives whom you have not seen for exactly a year (since the previous Chinese New Year).
2. Eat the same disgusting sh*t every year. (The pot of steamboat which you can brew your own poison)
3. Being imprisoned at your relatives' home until the cows come home.
Well... Having suffered for 20 years of Chinese New Year, I sure wasn't looking forward to the 21st one.
However, luck seemed to have changed this time round.
Perhaps as though, with the trotting in of the Year of the Pig, I didn't felt so out of place as I did in my rebellious youth.
Relatives whom seemed almost like strangers in years past became people who I felt a connection to, not just by blood (which is totally overrated). Its nice to see your cousins and aunties and uncles, just to share a tender moment to see how's everyone doing.
In a sense, I felt Chinese New Year was the opportunity to strengthen the bonds of kinship despite everyone's hectic lifestyle. The fact that everyone never failed to show up every year shows the imbedded love and concern we have for each other, just that often, as Asians, we find it hard to reveal our true feelings. Why didn't I notice it before? Perhaps the kid is indeed growing up.
Not to mention the red packets the adults always give us every year. Not just for us greedy kids (I haven't reach my 21st) to spend, but to bless us good luck for the coming year. Boy, do I need it. I realised its not the monetary value but the love which is in the red packets.
And about the sh*t I eat each year, yeah sh*t still is sh*t. But thinking it through, my grandmothers did put in alot of effort and loving devotion in buying/preparing the ingredients and concocting the soup base to make Chinese New Year as successful as possible, not just this year but always. And who really cares about eating sh*t for a day or two when you can share this sh*t with your family members whom you have not had time to meet up the past year. And this year, the sh*t did taste alot better. Thanks alot Grannies! love ya effort! and love u as always!
And looking around, my relatives put in alot of effort (and money) in nicely decorating their homes to make it as welcoming as possible. They also bought alot of snacks and tidbits for bored kinsmen like myself to gorge ourselves out. sighs... Thinking about how I despise the Lunar New Year in the past, I should be ashamed of myself.
Well... no point regretting my rebellious days of youth, I guess, I hope for a good prosperous year ahead as an adult.. arghhh... Wonder what's it going to be like! *quivers*
But sure I am to looking forward to meeting up with my relatives for a feast of Granny's concoction of sh*t next year! I really am!!! =]
***Happy Lunar New Year to all! May this Year of the Pig bring you prosperity and good fortune. And as always, may you and your family be blessed with good health and happiness!***
The 3 Chinese New Year thingies that irks me.
1. Visiting so-called relatives whom you have not seen for exactly a year (since the previous Chinese New Year).
2. Eat the same disgusting sh*t every year. (The pot of steamboat which you can brew your own poison)
3. Being imprisoned at your relatives' home until the cows come home.
Well... Having suffered for 20 years of Chinese New Year, I sure wasn't looking forward to the 21st one.
However, luck seemed to have changed this time round.
Perhaps as though, with the trotting in of the Year of the Pig, I didn't felt so out of place as I did in my rebellious youth.
Relatives whom seemed almost like strangers in years past became people who I felt a connection to, not just by blood (which is totally overrated). Its nice to see your cousins and aunties and uncles, just to share a tender moment to see how's everyone doing.
In a sense, I felt Chinese New Year was the opportunity to strengthen the bonds of kinship despite everyone's hectic lifestyle. The fact that everyone never failed to show up every year shows the imbedded love and concern we have for each other, just that often, as Asians, we find it hard to reveal our true feelings. Why didn't I notice it before? Perhaps the kid is indeed growing up.
Not to mention the red packets the adults always give us every year. Not just for us greedy kids (I haven't reach my 21st) to spend, but to bless us good luck for the coming year. Boy, do I need it. I realised its not the monetary value but the love which is in the red packets.
And about the sh*t I eat each year, yeah sh*t still is sh*t. But thinking it through, my grandmothers did put in alot of effort and loving devotion in buying/preparing the ingredients and concocting the soup base to make Chinese New Year as successful as possible, not just this year but always. And who really cares about eating sh*t for a day or two when you can share this sh*t with your family members whom you have not had time to meet up the past year. And this year, the sh*t did taste alot better. Thanks alot Grannies! love ya effort! and love u as always!
And looking around, my relatives put in alot of effort (and money) in nicely decorating their homes to make it as welcoming as possible. They also bought alot of snacks and tidbits for bored kinsmen like myself to gorge ourselves out. sighs... Thinking about how I despise the Lunar New Year in the past, I should be ashamed of myself.
Well... no point regretting my rebellious days of youth, I guess, I hope for a good prosperous year ahead as an adult.. arghhh... Wonder what's it going to be like! *quivers*
But sure I am to looking forward to meeting up with my relatives for a feast of Granny's concoction of sh*t next year! I really am!!! =]
***Happy Lunar New Year to all! May this Year of the Pig bring you prosperity and good fortune. And as always, may you and your family be blessed with good health and happiness!***



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home